Thing 19 - Coding

Coding

Coding has always been something that has intrigued me. I remember back in college, taking BASIC, and loving the challenge and problem solving that was involved. It is linear and logical, the complete opposite of me. 

I decided to dig into the Thing 19 to check out some coding opportunities. In the Dr. Lorraine A. Sherwood Library, we have robots and coding opportunities for the students. It is nothing formal but the kids are given time to tinker with the robots and are given the time to code. 

For this thing I looked at 

Thunkable - This web-based program, gives the user the ability to create apps for both IOS and android devices. I found it on the Hour of Code site - it is a drag and drop program and there are tutorials that go along with it. I was able to create a sketch app that was then downloaded to my phone as an app. Students can create apps and then upload them to the Google Play store (there is a one time $25 fee and then you can upload as many as you want). I tried both the IOS version and the Android version - the android version was much more intuitive.  

Minecraft EDU - Make Code - It took a while, but we finally got the MINECRAFT EDU working in the library computer lab. Minecraft EDU gives students the capability of creating mods with different drag and drop programs. We are using Make Code to create mods.

The Google First Camps are a great way to get started if you are unsure of what to do or do not feel confident in your coding ability. Each summer I work with girls from grades 4 - 8 and introduce them to coding through the Google First Camps. Here is the link to the site I created with the projects the students completed.

Tech Camp for Girls

Where do I want to go from here?


  1. I want to use Thunkable to challenge the students to create an app. Possibly host a hack-a-thon? I envision giving the students a problem to solve and creating an app to solve it. This would work great with our gaming club that meets afterschool.
  2. I want to work with students to create mods using Minecraft Edu. Again, like Thunkable - give the students a challenge and have them use the make code to solve it. A possible building challenge? 
I read the article, American Schools are teaching our kids how to code all wrong, I agree that we should make coding mandatory in schools. Start the kids young and give them many opportunities to code.

 The author believes that the coding apps are comfortable and catchy and that we need to go beyond the hour of code. I agree that we need to go beyond the hour of code but I find value in the drag and drop programming. It is a start, it promotes critical thinking, problem solving  and collaboration. It is the hook that can get the kids ready to tackle the programming languages. Many of the drag and drop programs allow the kids to see the code that is actually behind the drag and drop programs. Show the kids that code that is actually being written. Give them opportunities to explore and create. 

Coding is a great way for students to focus on skills that they will need for their future- problem solving, critical thinking, communicating and collaboration.






Comments

Popular Posts